Does anyone else miss Oprah’s Favorite Things episodes?? My freshman college roommate introduced me to the wonderful world of The Oprah Winfrey Show almost a decade ago in the dark ages (pre-DVR), so we had a standing 4:00 date with our beanbag chairs and the TV. Hands down, the BEST episodes were her favorite things episodes. We watched together, green with envy, as Oprah introduced her favorite things lately and then GAVE ONE to everyone in the audience. One year, there was a refrigerator. No joke. I remember first thinking how generous Oprah was, but also, I just loved getting the insight into what kinds of things she really enjoyed in her daily life.
Also, y’all know how much I adore Jen Hatmaker and in her podcast recently she has been asking each guest at the end, “What is saving your life right now?” Sometimes this is a tangible object, sometimes a relationship, sometimes an idea. Sometimes it’s Netflix. Obviously, it can be kind of an exaggeration, because things don’t really save our lives, but they can make life easier and more enjoyable. Another podcast I’ve been listening to (see below) always starts each episode with “Awesomes of the Week”, where the hostesses basically tell about new things they have found useful or interesting or just fun!
So, I decided to do a little “favorite things” post for you guys today as a fun change of pace. Here are mine:
- The Dixie Chicks Pandora Station: The Dixie Chicks (and friends) basically provided the soundtrack to my adolescence. Not to be a walking cliche, but when I got my driver’s license at 16, I loved rolling the windows down and belting out “Wide Open Spaces”. Also, Deana Carter’s “Strawberry Wine” pretty much turned me into a sappy romantic with completely unrealistic expectations of teenage boys. It’s been fun to listen to the music of the “old days”. Plus, I’m super impressed that my brain remembers ALL. THE. LYRICS.
- Podcasts: I never knew how much I’d love a good podcast! They are interesting and funny and make scrubbing bathrooms so much more enjoyable. Three podcasts that I’ve been loving:
- Jen Hatmaker’s For the Love Podcast: She has interviewed some AMAZING women and I have loved listening to their stories and their ideas. My favorites so far have been: Brené Brown, Melissa Hartwig of Whole 30, and Anna LeBaron & Ruth Wariner, authors of The Polygamist’s Daughter and The Sound of Gravel respectively (if you do not know their stories, give it a listen, it is fascinating to hear about their lives and how they intertwined and later found each other on Twitter of all places!).
- Sorta Awesome Podcast: These ladies talk about lots of fun things from parenting to food to reading. They are funny and find interesting topics and have great taste in books. My Amazon wish list has grown exponentially since listening to them. A recent favorite is their #sorrynotsorry episode.
- Oprah’s SuperSoul Conversations: She interviews notable and spiritual people as they tell how their faith has guided and inspired them. My favorites so far have been the episode with Shauna Niequist, author of Present Over Perfect and the one with President Jimmy Carter.
- Salad Bowls from Target: I’m realllllly trying hard to incorporate more green things in our lives, and I have recently become OBSESSED with salads. The problem was though, eating a giant salad on a plate can be kind of messy and unmanageable. So, I found these lovelies at Target for less that $8 each and they are game changers. *Technically* they are called “serving bowls” but, #dontjudgemetarget. We are eating different salads like three times a week for dinner now!
- Taco Chai Skinny Latte: Starbucks chai is just my favorite thing, especially in the fall. However, it’s super full of sugar and also like $4. So, I found this Tazo chai concentrate mix with less sugar (and no added fake sweeteners!). I add it to milk or almond milk and drink it iced or hot. It’s wonderful and only about $3.50 for 8 servings!
- DigestZen: This lovely oil blend from doTERRA absolutely saves my life every time I make bad food choices and have a tummy ache or heartburn (which lately has been a lot because I am apparently stupid and do not remember when things-mostly gluten and refined sugar- upset my tummy). One drop under the tongue or a drop rubbed around the belly button helps SO MUCH so quickly. And it tastes like licorice!
- Ro’s Argan Body Conditioner from LUSH: Life was so much simpler before I was introduced to LUSH Cosmetics…sigh. They have the best bath bombs and they give away free samples. That’s how I found the body conditioner (well played, LUSH). You put it on after you wash in the shower, lightly rinse, then pat down with a towel and there is no need for lotion. Even in the winter. And it smells like heaven. Even 3 hours after your shower.
- Daily schedule cards: My 3-almost-4 year old and I made these together because I was seriously tired of her asking me, “What can I do now?”. So we brainstormed all things she likes to do and at breakfast, I let her decide the order in which we would do things. It helps our day go so much more smoothly because she just checks the schedule when she wants to know what to do next!
- This picture: My daughter drew this of her brother and wanted to know how to spell his name, and I LOVE IT SO MUCH. It makes my heart smile.
Currently Reading: Still working on Americanah. It’s really good, but long. Plus, my sweet sister and brother-in-law were here last week and spending time with them > reading, so I slacked a little, but I’m 100% okay with that.
Currently Baking: Ice Cream Sandwiches with Good Ol’ Nestle Tollhouse Chocolate Chip Cookies. I was taking dinner to a dear friend and wanted to make something fun and yummy for dessert, so I made some classic chocolate chip cookies (so buttery and good) and filled them with vanilla frozen custard (from my favorite custard place, Andy’s). We topped them off with rainbow sprinkles, cuz, duh.
**AND NOW….for the GIVEAWAY!!!!** The winners are……
For the beautiful rose gold feather earrings…the winner is: Kristy Hill!! Great friend and librarian extraordinaire!
And for the tribal necklace, the winner is: Sarah Linder!! My favorite porch-sitting and breakfast date friend!
Ladies, I will send instructions 🙂
Thanks to everyone who signed up to get the blog by email! Love y’all!
Thanks for reading and until next time, peace and love from my household to yours.
2 thoughts on “Just a Few of My Favorite Things (and the Winners of our Giveaway!)”
Woohoo! Just made my whole day! Thank you!! PS- so gonna make ice cream sandwiches PPS- I H-E-A-R-T those bowls!